Rhinoplasty is among the most common cosmetic surgery procedures. Surprisingly, between both men and women alike. In fact, according to statistics it was among the top 5 cosmetic sugrery procedures in 2018. The surgical procedure is most sought after for cosmetic reasons. But some patients seek rhinoplasty for health reasons as well. The following guide constitutes all you need to know about rhinoplasty. From procedure to preparation and more.
What Is Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure that can refine and reshape the bone, cartilage, and exterior of the nose. It can b done for medical reasons, aesthetics, or both. In a rhinoplasty, a successful doctor will consider all your facial features and skin type beforehand.
Nose Job Procedure
Rhinoplasty or nose job involves several sessions before surgery for planning. The success of any rhinoplasty is in proportions. And the nose particularly doesn’t require drastic refining to bring about changes in the face. In most cases, minor changes can completely transform your face. But all in all, before surgery you’ll meet with your surgeon a few times. In those sessions, you’ll state your problem areas and how you rather your nose looked.
1- Nose Design
To fully capture how these changes will affect your face the plastic surgeons at Vera Clinic request pictures. Your doctor will take pictures of your profile and face and the using programs will give you the shape of your new nose. This step ensures that the results of rhinoplasty enhance your facial features.
The next part of the process is surgery. Rhinoplasty can be done using local anesthesia or general anesthesia. This depends on how complex the case is. But in both cases, it’s an outpatient procedure. There are two implementations for rhinoplasty. Once is called closed rhinoplasty where your doctor makes the changes from inside the nose without incisions. With closed rhinoplasty, there will be no scars at all. On the other hand, there’s open rhinoplasty and it requires
making incisions at the base of the nose. Your doctor may need to remove cartilage or add cartilage. This depends on your nose shape and the shape you want to get. If you need more cartilage your doctor may take some from your ears and moves it to the nose. Whereas for the bone, they can take it from any part of the body. After making the necessary changes your surgeon closes the incisions.
How To Prepare For Rhinoplasty
Two Weeks Before Rhinoplasty
As is the case with most surgical procedures, preparations do not begin the night before. To prepare for rhinoplasty, you need to start planning two weeks earlier. Here is what you have to do and avoid in the fourteen days following up to the surgery.
- Cut off the use of anti-inflammatory drugs and blood thinners. Aspirin and similar drugs increase the risk of bleeding.
- Do not consume vitamin supplements except vitamin C. Vitamins C helps the body heal.
- Cut the intake or use of substances that delay healing. And substances that increase the probability of scarring. This includes smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol.
- Stay away from sun exposure. During this period we recommend you wear sunscreen with an SPF of 30 and upwards.
Most hospitals provide aftercare kits. But if your hospital doesn’t, then do the preparations yourself. Buy a non-prescription nasal spray, supplements that reduce swelling, and pain killers. Your surgeon will prescribe
antibiotics and pain killers for you after surgery. These items will help reduce pain and swelling after surgery.
- Daily multivitamins are ok as they do not pose risks for the surgery. You may continue consuming them.
To be on the safe side, ask your doctor about your multivitamins and medicines to get his approval.
24 Hours Before Rhinoplasty
Before 24 hours from the operation, you will be feeling anxious. But, we’d like to remind you that things will turn out fine. Moving on, here is what you should do to prepare for rhinoplasty 24 hours before the appointment.
- Get a good rest, and get adequate sleep.
- Secure your ride home after surgery if you are an outpatient. The medical staff will not permit you from driving or leaving the hospital alone for your safety.
- Fast from drinking or eating as soon as the clock hits 12:00y. You should not eat or drink anything (including water) starting from midnight until post-surgery
- Take essential medications with a sip of water.
- You may brush your teeth the morning of the surgery, but be careful not to swallow any water or toothpaste.
On The Day Of The Surgery
- Wear clothing items that are loose that open from the back or front to not disturb your nose after surgery.
- Do not wear jewelry. This includes hairpins and accessories.
- Do not wear make-up
- Do not wear contact lenses. You may wear eyeglasses.
What To Expect After Rhinoplasty
- Bruising & Swelling
- Bloody Discharge
- Plastic Nasal Dressing & Splints
To read more about rhinoplasty recovery, click here.
Rhinoplasty Before And After Pictures
Contact us if you have any questions.