Hair transplant is a hair restoration procedure that can reverse hair loss. As a cosmetic surgery procedure, the NHS does not cover hair transplant procedures in the UK. There are various reasons that individuals seek out hair transplants.
- The UK is among the top 10 countries with the highest hair loss incidents.
- Hair loss is a phenomenon that affects nearly 50% of the world population, with a bit of a racial bias.
- Hair loss is least common in Africans and Asians, and more likely to appear in Europeans, with 39.23% of the UK population affected.
What Is A Hair Transplant
- A hair transplant is a procedure that reverses hair loss by moving hair from dense areas to bald areas.
- The hair adapts in its new location and continues to grow. Likewise, the results are permanent.
- There are many methods for the procedure. And the benefits or side effects depend on which technique you opt for.
How Much Is A Hair Transplant?
The cost of a hair transplant varies depending on the technique used and location of your treatment, with Turkey offering the lowest costs worldwide.
Around the world, hair transplant cost varies in an unpredictable way. See our list here for the top destinations for the procedure and their hair transplant cost.
Hair Transplant in the UK: The Techniques
The techniques available for hair transplant vary from one country to the other. This depends on the market, what is offered, and what patients can afford.
In the UK the two available methods for hair transplant are the follicular unit transplantation (FUT) and the follicular unit extraction (FUE).
- FUT is one of the oldest methods. As a result, it has more side effects than other techniques.
- Your surgeon will cut out an entire strip from your scalp before closing it with stitches.
- Your surgeon will then cut the strip into separate hair follicles before the follicles are implanted in the recipient site.
The side effects of this method are large visible scars and, in some cases, permanent numbness. For most, FUT is only an option due to its low price, although due to the potential complications involved, it is not available in many countries.
FUE is a more modern version for hair transplants, often preferred by surgeons and patients alike.
- The technique extracts follicles in a more practical way. In other words, instead of cutting a piece of skin from the scalp, FUE takes the follicles out one by one and then implanting them.
- As a result, there are no scars, healing times are faster, and most importantly no nerve damage.
- FUE is the method most popular hair transplant destinations use.
Although this method is preferred, a potential downside of FUE in the UK is the price, which is why many patients seek help abroad.
FUT vs FUE
- FUE in the UK is more expensive than a FUT, but the value for money is very high.
- FUE is less invasive and leaves no scarring
- FUT is considered to be an invasive technique that requires the excision of an entire strip from the scalp.
- FUT results in a linear scar, a much longer recovery period, long lasting numbness and a higher risk of infection.
In other regions of the world, FUE is by far more popular as the price is lower than in the UK. Although the demand for FUT has decreased, this cannot be said for the UK, due to the high FUE price tag.
Why Is FUT Still Common in the UK?
To understand this, we must look at some statistics from emerging surveys and phycological studies:
- 63% of bald men experience self-esteem issues
- 39% of them report depression
- Less than 10% seek hair restoration treatments, due to cost related issues
To understand where this gap comes from, we need to break down the British health care system and hair transplant industry: its pros, its cons, and its costs.
The British Health Care System in the UK
According to the Huffington Post, if patients want a hair transplant surgery they are expected to wait a period of 6 months to a year.
Cost is a huge issues for UK residents, which puts many individuals seeking this procedure off. The average hair transplant surgery could cost up to £30,000 pounds while the average UK salary is £27,000 pounds. The average cost makes the dream of restoring confidence for many out of reach.
Additionally, as the NHS does not cover hair transplant costs, individuals must pay for themselves.
Cheap Options in the UK
There are various elements worthy of consideration if you are looking for a cheap hair transplant in the UK.
- You can opt for FUT instead of the-state-of-the-art FUE. FUT has a lot of side effects, although it is cheaper than FUE.
- There are limited safe and cheap hair transplant options in the UK.
- You should never consider using an unlicensed or underqualified surgeon or hospital.
Alternatives To Expensive Procedures
- As hair transplants are a very popular procedure, various destinations around the world have emerged as ideal locations for hair transplants.
- The hair transplant industry in Turkey is growing very fast and gaining global attention.
- According to data from Google, nearly 40% of the search on “Hair transplant Turkey” comes from the UK.
Hair Transplants: UK vs Turkey
Safety and Regulations
The Turkish government closely monitors health care providers within its borders and hair transplant centres and cosmetic surgery hospitals are no exception.
- Many health care institutions in Turkey have the seal of approval from multiple international medical boards. It is essential that you check the accreditation of hospitals in Turkey as a necessary precaution.
- In the UK a popular program is the Care Quality Commission (CQC). Patients can use the CQC to scan hospital for government and surgeon’s certification. In Turkey, patients use a similar website to examine hospital credibility.
- For international accreditation, patients can visit the TÜV webpage and ISO webpage, or ISHRS webpage.
- You can also check the following PDF to make sure the hospital is certified by the government in regards to its medical tourism services.
Unlike the UK, Turkish hair transplant medical facilities exclusively use the FUE technique. Thousands of patients come for medical tourism in Turkey and the market is constantly moving. With the increased demand, as well as subsidies from the Turkish government, the cost is considerably lower.
Vera Clinic is a leader in hair transplant medical tourism that is the mastermind behind many of the current modern innovations. Various other techniques we offer include:
Technologies are consistently evolving in Turkey and there are always techniques to shorten surgery time, eliminate scarring while optimising results.
Quality to Costs
Benefits of cost related issues in Turkey include:
- The low costs in Turkey are one driving factor for its popularity.
- Health tourists take advantage of the price differences to find opportunities that weren’t previously accessible.
- Cheap hair transplant prices in turkey are not a result of poor quality
- The rates of hair restoration in Turkey range between $1500-$2500 which is significantly lower compared to procedure prices in the UK.
Waiting Time and Accessibility
Although demand is high, waiting list are not a common problem in Turkey.
- Istanbul alone hosts over 350 hospitals that can cater to the needs of the thousands of international patients upon request.
- Easy access is another advantage to Turkey over the UK due to the abundance of hospitals, offering patients the freedom of choice.
- Each hospital is unique in terms of services and quality, giving patients the flexibility needed to pick and choose based on their personal needs.
How To Have A Safe Hair Transplant
There are three things to look out for when going for the procedure. Whether in the UK or Turkey, specific precautionary measures need to be considered.
Years Of Experience
- Ensuring your surgeon is right is essential.
- Research and find out if the surgeon has adequate experience.
- The number of surgeries alone is not an indicator of quality.
Quantity alone is not necessarily a guarantee of quality, but it is an indication of competencyJoshua R. Sonett
Reviews And Ratings
- Read reviews online – First-hand experience is invaluable information.
- Compare different medical practices to ensure they are well-established.
- Ensure the quality of care is second to none.
Certifications And Guarantee
- Ensure you surgeon has all the essential experience required.
- Patients should always check if the hospital of interest is accredited by the government.
- It is even better if the hospital of choice has the seal of approval from international boards.
Why Consider Medical Tourism In Turkey
Health Tourism Is On The Rise
The inquiries from UK citizens regarding hair transplant has increased so much in the recent years. With many celebrities opting for hair transplantation, the stigma surrounding the concept has significantly gone down, and many people have grown more open about it. Research about hair transplant in Turkey from UK citizens has increased by 215% in the past year.
History, Culture, & Geographical Position
As Turkey encompasses both Asia and Europe, it is easily accessible by air for Europeans and Asians alike. The perks of its geographical position are not only limited to means of access.
- Turkey is a beautiful blend of modernity with a hint of ancient European with a twist of middle eastern.
- The cuisine that comes from Turkey is packed with cultural diversity.
- All the places that you can visit have unique activities you can partake in, offering the best of both worlds.
No Language Barrier
Most patients who cannot afford hair transplantation in the UK, are reluctant to seek treatment abroad due to language barriers.
If your only issue with hair transplant UK is the costs and with hair transplant Turkey is the language; you make for a perfect candidate for medical tourism in Turkey.
The language barrier is not an obstacle that hair transplant patients would face in Turkey. Most, if not all, hospitals offer oral translation services to facilitate communication between patients and doctors in various languages.
Packages For International Patients
Hair transplant hospitals in Turkey are the most comfortable in the world. Most hospitals include services to make sure international patients have a relaxed stay away from home.
These service packages include almost everything international patients need. Often, they contain transportation, accommodation, translation, aftercare kits, and more.
Quality Of Care
All internationally certified hospitals in Turkey provide a high quality of care.
- To maintain its reputation as the world’s go-to destination for medical tourism, Turkey is very strict with its regulations.
- It is not easy to earn a title as such with the global competition on medical tourism.
- The Turkish government regularly performs spontaneous inspections on every medical institution within its boundaries to monitor the quality of care and scan the hospitals according to international medical guidelines.
Medical care providers in Turkey are always up to date with modern medical advancements. Turkey has become a leading country in medical equipment manufacturing.
Hair loss can take its toll on individuals, with potential distressing psychological effects on people affected by it.
While it might seem that there’s no light at the end of the tunnel owing to the high costs and a variety of techniques, patients should remember that there are always alternative options other than coexisting with their low self-esteem. Turkish hair transplant hospitals are also very considerate towards their international patients and provide services that cover all their needs.
Click Contact Us to know more about hair transplant in Turkey.
How much does a hair transplant cost UK?
The average hair transplant cost in the UK is around 30,000 pounds for modern FUE. The old-school FUT method which leaves scarring and other side effects are more affordable in the UK.
Do hair transplants really work?
Hair transplants are the single best hair restoration technique. It is the only available cure to pattern baldness that looks natural and is also permanent. You only need a hair transplant once.
What is the success rate of hair transplant?
Hair transplantation has a 99.9% success rate in the treatment of male pattern baldness. How well you take care of your hair after a hair transplant and the hospital you choose are all factors that influence the success of hair transplantation.
What is a good age to get a hair transplant?
We recommend waiting until you’re 23 or over. In most cases, hair loss stabilizes by the time you’re 23. This means your doctor can certainly know and predict your bald areas.
What are the disadvantages of hair transplant?
Disadvantages depend on the technique. For example, if you’re opting for the FUE technique, there is nothing much for you to complain about. But the FUT has serious side effects that include a very visible scar, longer recovery periods, stitches after the procedure, and numbness in the area
How much is 2000 hair grafts?
In the UK, hair transplant centers charge per graft anywhere between 2 to 5 pounds. So for 2,000 grafts, you are looking at 4,000 to 10,000 pounds. On a side note, most people need at least 4,000 to 5,000 grafts on average.
How long does a hair transplant last?
The procedure of a hair transplant lasts around 8 hours give or take. Whereas the results are lifelong.
How many grafts are needed for a full head?
This depends on your Norwood class, if you have zero hair on your scalp you’re likely not to be a good candidate for hair transplant. But the bigger your Norwood class the more grafts you will need. On average most people need between 4,000 to 5,000 grafts. In some rare cases even 7,000 grafts.